Statistics say that about half of all marriages will end up in a divorce. Some marriages last, but not all relationships were meant to be. During this turbulent time in your life, there are many places to find legal representation for a divorce. Here is a brief list of where you can find a divorce attorney.If you would like to learn more about this, please check out -Dealing With The Fees Charged By Divorce Attorneys.
1. Friend of Family Referrals- You may have a friend, colleague, co-worker or family member that has gone through a divorce before. These people can give you a good insight on their own experience with the divorce attorney that they hired for their legal proceedings. Sometimes, that friend or family member will be located outside your jurisdiction and therefore different laws may apply. Always try to seek a referral from someone that is near you for divorce advice as the same local laws will apply.
2. Internet- Many people these days seek information quickly and can do so by just connecting to the internet. The internet is full of legal information including local divorce attorneys in your area. The internet is a great option as search engines can show detailed results that relate to your search. Another option, if available, is connecting to the internet through your cell phone as your soon to be ex spouse won’t be able to view your recent history on the home PC.
3. Local Phone Book Listings- If you take a look through your local phone book or yellow pages, you will find a large quantity of licensed attorneys in your area. Keep in mind, that the attorney with the biggest advertisement may not be the best fit for your divorce case. If you elect to find a divorce attorney through the yellow page advertisements, be sure to call on several local attorney and make sure they specialize in divorces. Some attorneys practicing family law, may only deal with adoption services. Make certain that the specialization of divorces is their main practice.
4. Bar Association- Many cities will have a local bar association. This is another great place to search for divorce attorneys. If you call the association, they can put you in contact with a handful of distinguished local divorce lawyers. Here, you are guaranteed that the attorney is licensed and meets all the credentials needed.
5. Local Law Schools- If you are seeking a divorce attorney and do not have a lot of money to spend, find a local law school and contact their legal aid clinic. If your financial situation qualifies for their pro bono program, you can take advantage of their discounted prices. However, if you don’t, they can still refer you to a divorce attorney that can meet your needs.
6. Legal Aid Services- Another option if you are strapped for cash or have little income is legal aid society. Conduct a search for legal aid society in your home town. Certain qualifications may apply to you in order to become eligible for legal aid. Legal aid services also perform pro bono cases for financial hardship candidates. Many divorce attorneys in cities will take cases via pro bono.
Depending upon your financial situation will determine your avenue to take when hiring a divorce lawyer. Make sure you do research on each candidate and be certain they meet your guidelines. If you are in financial hardship, there are a number of different ways to select and hire a divorce attorney.