Why Professional Furnace Repair Can Be a Lifesaver

Using a central fireplace, many people heat their homes in the fall and winter. Although they are prevalent in many households, they are also fairly complex devices that are little known to the average homeowner. They need power, a source of fuel such as natural gas, and hot air. That boiler needs to get very hot in order to heat your whole house. On average, there were about four furnace fires a year in the 1960s and 1970s. Fortunately, modern technical developments have taken that amount down to just around 0.3 per year. Regular repair and maintenance of the furnace can help keep the risks low.Learn more about us at Seattle Furnace Repair Association

There are still occasional news storeys about the disastrous and sometimes devastating consequences that may result from defective boilers, even with the drastic decrease in furnace-related incidents. In late 2012, a home in Indianapolis exploded, killing two people and destroying at least a dozen homes so badly they had to be demolished. John Shirley, the homeowner, told the press that he believed it was to blame for a faulty heater. In the days leading up to the blast, he and his family members reported smelling gas.

Although the Shirley family mentioned hiring a contractor to repair the device, it was apparent that their chosen handyman did not do enough work. Furthermore, by the time a homeowner smells a gas leak, he or she has probably already lapsed into allowing things to get to that point. A big difference can be made by regularly scheduled checks for furnace repair and maintenance.

One contractor reports that with annual maintenance trips, about 95 per cent of all explosions could be avoided. It is also a major part of the solution to be mindful of the possibilities. The contractor claims that he was called in to look at an air conditioning device on one job and asked the customer if he wanted him to check the heating unit while in the building. The homeowner shrugged him off, but relented when he was reminded by the contractor that “you can’t be too cautious.” The contractor found a “one in 10,000” problem after inspection that could have proven catastrophic. The pilot light had gone off, and there was a malfunction of the redundant shut-off valve, so gas filled the house slowly. It used propane, which is heavier than air, for that particular heater. Propane remains at the bottom of the room because of its denser chemical makeup and does not emanate as much odour as natural gas. If the gas had come into contact with an open flame, an electric spark, or even a mono-filament light bulb, it would have combusted and set the entire place ablaze. Thankfully, the nightmare scenario was negated by a bit of precaution and a swift furnace repair.

Although it might not be something we think about every day, in order to provide energy, our heating system uses potentially harmful elements. Accidents are highly rare, but remember, “you can’t be too careful.” To ensure your heating system is working properly, get a furnace repair and maintenance specialist.